An advance report of a new article on the Lindbergh case has just been released. It contains entirely new information, and answers many hitherto unresolvable puzzles..

Some just-found original movie film (300 feet) of the child, obtained through PatheNews Cinema, shows how active Charles Jr. was. A recurring difficulty was his constant bouncing around - an early form of hyperkinesis. The family knew about it, but Ritalin was not yet available for treatment.

The family handled this by keeping the child immobile at night, and frequently used two large safety pins to secure the blanket around him. In her recently discovered diary, Betty Gow confided that on the night of March 1, 1932, she had neglected to attach them properly. As a result, the child was able to slip out of his covers, and unfortunately, while climbing over the crib frame, toppled onto the floor. A risk-taker like his father, he fell head first and instantly fractured his skull. There is some evidence to indicate that Paul Wendel knew of this aspect of the case, as he included it in his now-discredited "Confession."

This accident was initially undetected - only Wahgoosh the terrier heard it since he was always alert to the child's activities. But there was a darker side to Wahgoosh which is just emerging - it seems that until Charles Jr grew older, he was the center of attention in the family. Wahgoosh secretly resented the growing child. When the youngster fell in his Nursery, the dog rushed to the room - seeing his rival on the floor, he was overcome with anger, and chewed off the child's left leg.

At that moment, Charles Sr. came upstairs to take a bath. Hearing a low growling sound nearby (although he was deaf, the sound resembled an airplane motor, and he was sensitive to that frequency), he went into the Nursery for the first time in his life. It was a well-known fact that he considered the Nursery off-limits, but the sound of something avian intrigued him.

At first he thought that Wahgoosh was pulling some kind of practical joke, a feature they had in common. But when he realized what had happened, he decided he had to protect him, since he could see the headlines: "Lindy's dog devours Eaglet!" Together they hatched a plan.

At this point, some would object, but it is a little known fact that on March 1, 1932, Lindbergh had been meeting with Dr. Alexis Carrel, Nobel Prize Winner, in NYC, over their plans for organ regeneration and inter-species communication. This research was top secret, and explains why CAL could never acknowledge his whereabouts that afternoon. As a matter of fact, he was so excited over their joint breakthrough, that he forgot to attend the NYU Dinner that evening.

After Wahgoosh licked the room clean (in less than sixty seconds), Lindy and the pooch took the child to a spot not far from the house, where they knew no one would think to look. Even if bloodhounds had been called in, Wahgoosh would have kept his kin away from the Site through professional courtesy. While the child was being disposed of, the leg that was chewed-off was lost in the darkness.

Luckily for Lindy (he was always "Lucky"), he was able to devise a cover story with the help of the dog. They figured that the best approach would be to divert attention to a kidnapper, since there was so much news about them in the newspapers. Ollie Whateley was brought briefly into the conspiracy and it was he who located a workman's ladder which had been discarded because of a broken rail. Whateley later regretted his part in the cover-up (since he always disliked the dog) and committed suicide the following year - this was disguised as a brief hospital illness.

Lindbergh then wrote the first ransom note, and Wahgoosh came up with the "Singnature." They figured that since it was designed by a dog with dyslexia, no one on earth could possibly duplicate it, as the last thing they wanted was a real kidnapper trying to get the cash. This would have worked out fine, except for a fatal flaw. They did not know that in the Bronx was a semi-retired carpenter with a taste for the good life. He had a rare form of "agraphia" and so he alone was able to duplicate Wahgoosh's signature - so realistically that even the dog was fooled. So they had to pay him off.

Bruno Hauptmann, who in his earlier life was a choirboy, donated 2/3 of the money to a clandestine organization for marooned sailors. Ever since migrating illegally to the US as a stowaway in 1923, he always had a soft spot in his heart for men of the sea. The remaining third was hidden in his garage, where he used to dip the bills in water when he was feeling lonely. It was the tragedy of his life that he was buying gasoline at the Warner-Quinlan service station on Sept 15, 1934, since he usually bought all his auto needs at Raabe's drugstore - things like ether, etc.

When questioned about the source of the gold notes, he stated that his best friend Isidor Fisch had left the shoebox with him in Dec 1933, just prior to returning to Germany where he died. Fisch had always told him to convert it all to seal skins ("better than gold"), but Hauptmann was going to invest in the Stock Market. He was waiting for an upswing when it was discovered.

The few folded bills that turned up were actually the work of Anna Hauptmann, a compulsive housekeeper. Bruno himself was always a "flat bills" man - it was one of the few things they argued about. Anna would visit movie theatres and fruit stands late at night, dressed as a man - she too had a "dark side", it turned out.

When Hauptmann went on trial in NJ, he was denied the use of a translator, and as a result, was never able to understand the charges against him. He thought he was trying out for a new radio program and his attempts at humor ("I got billions") only alienated the jury. He even had a perfect defense as it later turned out, since the nails in the witness chair were 8-penny common fencing nails made by the Pittsburgh Steel Co. But because the researcher on the case, Stanley Keith, had only written one article in his entire life, he never knew of it until too late.

The authors of this important new story thank G. Ahlgren and S. Monier for pointing the way to their startling new conclusions. They were SO close...